Sunday, February 28, 2016

Days 16 & 17: A Completely Distracted Housewife

The last 2 days have seen me being a complete failure of a housewife. But mostly due to missing the house part of housewife. I found myself very rarely in the house. Saturday was another day of working on my upstairs sewing room, though a much shorter day due to a birthday party that we were to attend in the afternoon/evening.

I did still wake up early and serve a breakfast before the work began but after that I was in full out get everyone ready to get out of the house mode. But I did follow the lessons I have learned of the 50s and I made sure that my hair was well done, that I was dressed in some of my best and that my lipstick was on! I actually gave pin curls a try and found that they held somewhat better in my hair than my usual curling iron curls.

I also received another fun delivery during the afternoon, the last 50's book I had been awaiting.


The Complete Book of Absolutely Perfect Housekeeping: An Uproarious Guide for Disorganized Housewives (with Neat Solutions to Sloppy Problems) by Elinor Goulding Smith and published in 1956. This book sounded quite entertaining so I was excited to get my hands on a copy to read. I have a lot of reading to do in my future. 

Today was also a completely housewife-less day. I did manage to quickly prep a breakfast for the family before heading out for a day of thrifting with two of my favorite people, my mother and my aunt. We ended up spending the entire day digging for treasures and I was thrilled to come home with some wonderfully retro finds. 

First, a metal dress form that will be a wonderful decoration piece once my sewing room is finished. With a little bit of dressing up I think it will be a wonderful addition.


Next were some vintage patterns. While they are not 1950's patterns they are all from the 60's. I think the classic shift dress will never truly go out of style. 





And finally a few cookbooks that will hopefully make it easier for me to cook meals that would have been true to the decade. 

Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cookbook, unfortunately this was not the original 1954 version, this is one of the many re-publications. This one was published in 1996.

I was thrilled to find Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book, Second Edition, published in 1956.

This was a fun and unique find. A cookbook released by the Milwaukee Gas Light Company in 1959.

Between the three of these I hope to come up with some fun and interesting meals in the next few weeks. It was a wonderful day of digging and discovering fun little treasures. But when I came home, I discovered the frustration of a house that has been neglected for 2 days. How is it possible for it to look like I never even cleaned it after a week of non-stop cleaning. I can't wait to straighten it all up tomorrow morning. 

But for now, I have to go sip the amazing old fashioned chocolate malt that my hubby just whipped up for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment