Monday, May 15, 2017

Recreating Vintage: Anne Adams R4769

It has been a long while since my last post. I have been stitching but was not making much progress on vintage stitching. But over my hiatus I was building up the courage to attempt something that I had been too afraid to attempt before 2 weeks ago . . . resizing a vintage pattern!

I have a few vintage patterns that I have been dreaming of stitching up but the sizes were way off. I followed the tutorial over at Sense & Sensibility Patterns for re-sizing as I went along. And aside from some hiccups and learning I did along the way, it wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. I actually found myself enjoying the challenge as I figured the math and re-sized the pieces. 

Unfortunately, my re-sizing was far from perfect. I definitely still need to work on it as I had to do a lot of seam picking and creative re-sizing as I went along. 

While I was super upset about the sizing issue in the above picture I ended up really loving the shape it gave the back of the bodice in the finished product. However, I was not happy about all of  unpicking I had to do to the collar of the bodice in my attempts to get it to sit just right. I definitely ended up sizing it up a little too much. 

After what felt like a hundred times of trying on, seam ripping and re-stitching, I finally got it to a good place. 

The buttons and the hem went better than I had expected them to go and I actually managed to finish the dress the night before Mother's Day! Now that I know what adjustments I need to make I am eager to sew this up again as soon as I stumble upon the perfect fabric. In the meantime, I am going to try my hand at re-sizing another vintage pattern! 

Until next time . . . happy sewing! 


  1. You've done a really good job with the resizing - the dress looks amazing on you.

    1. Thank you so much! It is definitely a learning process but I am now looking forward to attempting a few more of the too small vintage patterns.