I have a few vintage patterns that I have been dreaming of stitching up but the sizes were way off. I followed the tutorial over at Sense & Sensibility Patterns for re-sizing as I went along. And aside from some hiccups and learning I did along the way, it wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. I actually found myself enjoying the challenge as I figured the math and re-sized the pieces.
Unfortunately, my re-sizing was far from perfect. I definitely still need to work on it as I had to do a lot of seam picking and creative re-sizing as I went along.
While I was super upset about the sizing issue in the above picture I ended up really loving the shape it gave the back of the bodice in the finished product. However, I was not happy about all of unpicking I had to do to the collar of the bodice in my attempts to get it to sit just right. I definitely ended up sizing it up a little too much.
After what felt like a hundred times of trying on, seam ripping and re-stitching, I finally got it to a good place.
The buttons and the hem went better than I had expected them to go and I actually managed to finish the dress the night before Mother's Day! Now that I know what adjustments I need to make I am eager to sew this up again as soon as I stumble upon the perfect fabric. In the meantime, I am going to try my hand at re-sizing another vintage pattern!
Until next time . . . happy sewing!